Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chinese Symbol Tattoo - A Matter of Stroke Placement Error

                       
James asked this in a Chinese tattoo confirmation request:

"I have a kanji symbol for good/joy and I want to confirm the meaning... was I right about this one?"




Hi James,

The character is a bit hard to see, but appears to be an incorrectly written one meaning "virtuous", "good" or "kind" in Chinese. Please see the attached .jpeg file for the correct character (the two dots above the horizontal line and the square should be centered, not aligned to the left). Mistakes like this are extremely common when using tattoo parlor samples, etc. The good news is that's it's close enough so that I (and probably most Chinese speakers) would recognize it.

As for Kanji, my dictionary indicates that this character means more or less the same in Japanese.

No comments: